JOHN A. BUZA, M.D. Fellowship-Trained Orthopedic Spine Surgeon
Dr. John Andrew Buza III is a fellowship-trained Orthopedic Spine Surgeon at NY-Presbyterian Queens and is a member of the Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation. He specializes in the treatment of all disorders of the spine, including cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine problems.
Dr. Buza has a conservative approach to spine surgery, making sure to maximize non-operative treatment before considering surgical intervention. When surgery is advised, he uses the least invasive techniques to alleviate a patient’s spinal pathology while allowing a quick recovery. Although he is passionate about utilizing minimally invasive techniques, he also performs complex corrective procedures for adult spinal deformity.
Prior to joining NY-Presbyterian Queens, Dr. Buza graduated from the University of Southern California as a Dean’s Scholar and earned his medical degree from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. He attended Orthopedic Surgery Residency at NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital, where he completed the 6-year Clinician-Scientist Research Fellowship. Dr. Buza then completed a Combined Neurosurgery and Orthopedic Fellowship in Adult and Pediatric Spine Surgery at the world-renowned Norton Leatherman Spine Center.
He is very active in clinical and biomechanical research. Dr. Buza has authored over 30 peer-reviewed articles and book chapters in the field of orthopedic surgery and spine surgery.
Dr. Buza grew up in San Diego, California, and enjoys spending time with his wife, traveling, and playing golf.
Trojan League of San Diego Scholarship Recipient 08/2003
Thematic Options English Honors Program Recipient 08/2003
Freshman Science Honors Program 08/2003
Dean’s Scholar 4 – year Merit Scholarship 08/2003-05/2007
University of Southern California Dean’s List, First Honors 08/2004-05/2006
Interfraternity Council Greek Scholar of the Year Award 08/2006
Order of Omega Greek Honors Association, University of Southern California 08/2005-05/2007
ORS/OREF/AAOS New Investigator Recipient 01/2017
Senior Resident Basic Science Research Award 05/2019
- Egol, K., Buza III, J.A. Bicondylar tibial plateau fracture (Schatzker VI) (2015) Fractures of the Tibia: A Clinical Casebook, pp. 57-71.
- Buza III, J.A., and Protopsaltis, T.S. Cervical Laminoplasty: Techniques and Outcomes (2016). In PG Passias (ed.) Cervical Myelopathy (pp. 167-176) Philadelphia, PA, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers.
- Buza JA, Leucht P: Growth Factor Treatments for Obtaining Healing of Fractures. Orthopaedic Knowledge Online Journal 2017;15(4):1.
- Bishop, J.A., Buza, J., Leucht, P. Ipsilateral femoral neck and shaft fractures (2017) Proximal Femur Fractures: An Evidence-Based Approach to Evaluation and Management, pp. 129-139.
- Buza JA, Einhorn T. Orthobiologics. Evidence-Based Orthopedics, Wiley Publishing,
- Buza JA, Menga E, Razi A. Natural History and Long-Term Sequelae of Vertebral Compression Fractures. Spinal Compression Fractures in Osteoporotic and Pathologic Bone, Springer Publishing,
- Buza JA, Tian Robotic subaxial pedicle screws. Navigation and Robotics in Spine Surgery, Thieme Publishers, 2018.
- Buza III JA, Fink LA, Levine Sports activity after total joint arthroplasty: Recommendations for the counseling physician. Phys Sportsmed 2013;41(1):9-21.
- Makhni EC, Buza JA, Byram I, Ahmad CS. Sports reporting: A comprehensive review of the medical literature regarding north american professional sports. Phys Sportsmed 2014;42(2):154- 62.
- Kim HM, Caldwell J-E, Buza JA, Fink LA, Ahmad CS, Bigliani LU, Levine Factors affecting satisfaction and shoulder function in patients with a recurrent rotator cuff tear. J Bone Jt Surg Ser A 2014;96(2):106-12.
- Buza III JA, Iyengar JJ, Anakwenze OA, Ahmad CS, Levine Arthroscopic Hill-Sachs Remplissage: A systematic review. J Bone Jt Surg Ser A 2014;96(7):549-55.
- Makhni EC, Buza JA, Byram I, Ahmad CS. Academic characteristics of orthopedic team physicians affiliated with high school, collegiate, and professional teams. Am J Orthop 2015;44(11):510-4.
- Liu JX, Buza JA, Leucht P. Clinical aspects of fracture healing: An overview. Clin Rev Bone Miner Metab 2015;13(4):208-21.
- Wei J, Buza J, Liu C. Does progranulin account for the opposite effects of etanercept and infliximab/adalimumab in osteoarthritis? J Orthop Res 2016;34(1):12-4.
- Buza JA, Einhorn T. Bone healing in 2016. Clin Cases Miner Bone Metab 2016;13(2):101-5.
- Novikov DA, Swensen SJ, Buza JA, Gidumal RH, Strauss EJ. The effect of smoking on ACL reconstruction: A systematic review. Phys Sportsmed 2016;44(4):335-41.
- Buza JA, Wasterlain AS, Thakkar SC, Meere P, Vigdorchik J. Navigation and robotics in knee arthroplasty. JBJS Rev 2017;5(2).
- Fink Barnes LA, Kim HM, Caldwell J, Buza J, Ahmad CS, Bigliani LU, Levine Satisfaction, function and repair integrity after arthroscopic versus mini-open rotator cuff repair. Bone Jt J 2017;99-B(2):245-9.
- Ning B, Zhao Y, Buza JA, Li W, Wang W, Jia T. Surgically-induced mouse models in the study of bone regeneration: Current models and future directions (review). Mol Med Rep 2017;15(3):1017- 23.
- Buza JA, Jancuska JM, Slover JD, Iorio R, Bosco JA. Variation in diagnoses for hip arthroplasty among New York state hospitals: Implications for the comprehensive care for joint replacement model. J Arthroplasty 2017;32(4):1117-20.
- Reynolds RJ, Walker PS, Buza J. Mechanisms of anterior-posterior stability of the knee joint under load-bearing. J Biomech 2017;57:39-45.
- Buza JA, Liu JX, Jancuska J, Bosco JA. The regionalization of total ankle arthroplasties and ankle fusions in New York state: A 10-year comparative analysis. Foot Ankle Spec 2017;10(3):210-5.
- Wasterlain AS, Buza JA 3rd, Thakkar SC, Schwarzkopf R, Vigdorchik J. Navigation and Robotics in Total Hip Arthroplasty. JBJS Rev. 2017 Mar 14;5(3).
- Worley N, Buza J, Jalai CM, Poorman GW, Day LM, Vira S, McClelland III S, Lafage V, Passias PG. Diabetes as an Independent Predictor for Extended Length of Hospital Stay and Increased Adverse Post-Operative Events in Patients Treated Surgically for Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy. Int J Spine Surg. 2017 Apr 3;11:10.
- Liu JX, Werner JA, Buza JA 3rd, Kirsch T, Zuckerman JD, Virk MS. Povidone-iodine Solutions Inhibit Cell Migration and Survival of Osteoblasts, Fibroblasts, and Myoblasts. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2017 Apr 12.
- Poorman GW, Jalai CM, Diebo B, Vira S, Buza J, Baker J, Tishelman J, Horn S, Bono O, Shenoy K, Hasan S, Paul J, Isaacs E, Kaye I, Atanda A, Buckland AJ, LaFage V, Errico T, Passias PG. Congenital Etiology is an Independent Risk Factor for Complications in Adolescents Undergoing Corrective Scoliosis Surgery: Comparison of In-hospital Comorbidities Using Nationwide KID's Inpatient Database. J Pediatr Orthop. 2017 Apr
- Hamilton DK, Buza JA 3rd, Passias P, Jalai C, Kim HJ, Ailon T, Gupta M, Sciubba D, Jain A, Ames CP, Deviren V, Daniels A, Lafage V, Bess S, Klineberg E, Shaffrey CI, Smith JS, Hart R; Study Group. The Fate of Adult Spinal Deformity (ASD) Patients Incurring Rod Fracture After Thoracolumbar Fusion. World Neurosurg. 2017 Jul
- Passias PG, Poorman G, Jalai C, Diebo B, Vira S, Horn S, Buza J, Bess S, LaFage V, Errico TJ et al. Incidence of Congenital Spinal Abnormalities Among Pediatric Patients and their Association with Scoliosis and Systemic Anomalies. J Pediatr Orthop.
- Buza JA, Vigdorchik J, Meere PA, Schwarzkopf R. Robotics and modern total knee Techniques in Orthopaedics. Techniques in Orthopaedics. 33 (1), pp. 66-70.
- Lowry, M., Buza, J., Liu, J., Rosenbaum, H., Lavery, J., Bosco, J., Walker, P.S. Surgical Accuracy of an Early Intervention Knee Implant Instrumentation System (2018) Journal of Knee Surgery, 31 (10), pp. 979-985.
- Liu, J.X., Bravo, D., Buza, J., Kirsch, T., Kennedy, O., Rokito, A., Zuckerman, J.D., Virk, S. Topical vancomycin and its effect on survival and migration of osteoblasts, fibroblasts, and myoblasts: An in vitro study. (2018) Journal of Orthopaedics, 15 (1), pp. 53-58.
- Buza, J.A., Leucht, P. Fractures of the talus: Current concepts and new developments. (2018) Foot and Ankle Surgery, 24 (4), pp. 282-290.
- Yu, S., Saleh, H., Bolz, N., Buza, J., Iorio, R., Rathod, P.A., Schwarzkopf, R., Deshmukh, J. Re-revision total hip arthroplasty: Epidemiology and factors associated with outcomes (2018) Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics and Trauma, Article in Press.
- Radcliff, K., Jalai, C., Vira, S., Yang, S., Boniello, A.J., Bianco, K., Oh, C., Gerling, M., Poorman, G., Horn, S.R., Buza, J.A., Isaacs, R.E., Vaccaro, A.R., Passias, P.G. Two-Year Results of the Prospective Spine Treatment Outcomes Study: Analysis of Postoperative Clinical Outcomes Between Patients with and without a History of Previous Cervical Spine Surgery (2018) World Neurosurgery, 109, pp. e144-e149.
- Buza JA, Good CR, Lehman RA, Pollina J, Chua RV, Bucholz AL, Gum JL. Robotic-assisted cortical bone trajectory (CBT) screws using the Mazor X Stealth Edition (MXSE) system: workflow and technical tips for safe and efficient use (2020) Journal of Robotic Surgery (Published online ahead of print)
- Scientific Exhibit SE08: Single-Shot and Continuous Femoral Nerve Blocks for Total Knee Arthroplasty (TKA): What is the Evidence? Buza J, Yoon R, Lloyd E, Alvarado C, Iorio R, Macaulay American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2015, Las Vegas, NV.
- Poster 1638: Progranulin Growth Factor Promotes Diabetic Fracture Healing. Wei J, Guo Y, Tian Q, Buza J, Einhorn T, Liu CJ. Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York, Orthopaedic Research Society 2016 Meeting, Orlando, FL.
- Poster P471: Athletes With Shoulder Instability: A Prospective Study Of Player Attitudes On Operative v Non-operative Treatment. Barnes L, Buza J, Ahmad American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting 2016, Orlando, FL
- Abstract ID 1772: Incidence of Congenital Spinal Abnormalities Among Pediatric Patients and their Association with Scoliosis and Systemic Anomalies. Passias PG, Buza JA, et al. Scoliosis Research Society Annual Meeting and Course, 2016, Prague, Czech Republic North American Spine Society 2016, Boston, MA
- The Fate of Adult Spinal Deformity (ASD) Patients Incurring Rod Fracture after Thoracolumbar Fusion without Prior 3-Column Osteotomy. Buza JA, Hamilton D, Passias PG, Jalai C, Kim HJ, Shaffrey C, Smith J, Hart R et North American Spine Society 2016, Boston, MA
- Abstract ID 1765: Congenital vs. Idiopathic scoliosis: Comparison of In-hospital Co-morbidities Using Nationwide Inpatient Database (KID). Passias PG, Buza JA, et Scoliosis Research Society Annual Meeting and Course, 2016, Prague, Czech Republic North American Spine Society 2016, Boston, MA
- Scientific Exhibit SE59: Osteotomies in the Treatment of Spinal Deformity: Indications, Classification, and Latest Techniques. Buza JA, Delsole E, Shenoy K, Buckland A, Bess S, Protopsaltis T, Errico T, Passias American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting 2017, San Diego, CA
- Scientific Exhibit SE10: The Hip-Spine Relationship: What Hip Surgeons Need to Eftekhary N, Buza JA, Delsole EM, Buckland A, Schwarzkopf R, Vigdorchik J. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting 2017, San Diego, CA
- Scientific Exhibit SE89: Can we improve fracture healing? The Effects of Common Medications and Patient Comorbidities on Fracture Healing. Bravo D, Buza JA, Leucht P, Egol KA. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting 2017, San Diego, CA
- Poster P088: Variation in Diagnoses for Hip Arthroplasty: Implications for the Comprehensive Care for Joint Replacement Model. Buza JA, Jancuska JM, Iorio R, Bosco American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting 2017, San Diego, CA
- Paper 4: Progranulin Growth Factor Promotes Diabetic Bone Healing. Ding Y, Wei J, Hettinghouse A, Guo Y, Tian Q, Buza JA, Einhorn T, Liu Orthopaedic Research Society Annual Meeting 2017, San Diego, CA
- Paper P718: Re-Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty: Epidemiology and Factors Associated with Outcomes Yu S, Saleh H, Bolz N, Buza JA, Rathod P, Iorio R, Schwarzkopf R, Deshmukh A. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2017, San Diego, CA American Academy of Hip and Knee Surgeons, 2017 ISTA
- Poster P147: Re-Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty: Epidemiology and Factors Associated with Outcomes. Yu, S, Bolz N, Saleh H, Buza J, Iorio R., Schwarzkopf R, Deshmukh, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2017, San Diego, CA ISTA
- Poster P370: The Cytotoxic Effect of Vancomycin Hydrochloride on Proliferating Osteoblasts, Fibroblasts, and Myoblasts. Liu J, Buza JA, Kennedy OD, Kirsch T, Rokito AS, Virk M, Zuckerman American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2017, San Diego, CA. American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons 2017, San Diego, CA
- Scientific Exhibit SE02: Overcoming Total Hip Arthroplasty Challenges, from Exposure to Closure. Buza J, Evangelista P, Hooper J, Iorio R, Slover J, Vigdorchik J American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2018, New Orleans, LA.
- Scientific Exhibit SE58: Stress Fractures in the Female Athlete. Jazrawi L, Kugelman D, Hall J, Alaia M, Buza J, Konda S, Egol American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2018, New Orleans, LA.
- Poster 459: Skeletal Stem Cell Characteristics in Iliac Crest Bone Graft and Clinical Implications in Fracture Nonunion Repair. Yim N, Bravo D, Buza JA, Egol K, Leucht American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2019, Las Vegas NV.
- Scientific Exhibit SE53: Spine Implant Surface Technology: Current Knowledge and Future Directions. Buza JA, Ihejirika R, Patel K, Buckland A, Fischer C, Passias P, Protopsaltis T. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2019, Las Vegas
North American Spine Society 08/2016 – Present
American Academy of Hip and Knee Surgeons 08/2015 – Present
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 08/2013 – Present
American Medical Association 08/2015 – Present
47-01 Queens Blvd
Sunnyside, NY 11104
72-06 Northern Blvd
Jackson Heights, NY 11372
163-03 Horace Harding Expressway
Fresh Meadows, NY 11365